Saint Francisville, LA asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: Im 17 living in louisiana w/ divorced parents. My father is trying to force me to stay with him. can he force me?

He wants me to stay with him bc he wants my grades to be better in my online school. he’s threatening to make me live with him so he can constantly watch me do my work. i’m not failing all of my classes so idk why he’s freaking out. but he’s my domicile parent so i’m worried he can force me to stay with him by law. is this possible? can he forcibly make me live with him? i thought i could choose since i’m 17. (also i live in louisiana if that makes a difference)

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: At 18 you are an adult and can choose where to live. Until then, you cant.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.