Longview, WA asked in Family Law and Probate for Washington

Q: How do I start the process to be the person to make my mother's decisions? She is not mentally able to make decisions.

I am not able to care for her, and she is needing care daily whether it have to be 24/7 or just a person during the day. She has nothing, no home, and did receive SSI until she mentally couldn't remember to do her reviews, paperwork etc they won't allow me to speak for her. She need counseling/therapy for her mental help. I don't know where to start. She is only 52.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Renee Louise Roman
Renee Louise Roman pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Des Moines, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: In order to make decisions for your mother, you will need to be appointed as her guardian, unless she has an existing power of attorney naming you as her attorney in fact. If she previously executed a power of attorney, you should have this reviewed to see what decisions you are able to make on her behalf. If there is no power of attorney, you should contact an attorney who handles guardianships, in order to begin the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.