Westfield, NJ asked in Personal Injury for New Jersey

Q: In the case of a personal injury claim, would that be considered a civil matter, and could I still be subpoenaed?

My housemate’s lawyer, on the phone this past Monday, after I expressed my concerns regarding being involved with his claim and such and wanting to withdraw my documents, mocked me on the phone and was unnecessarily aggressive in our discussion. I came into respectfully to make my request, and I felt threatened because when I expressed why I did not want to be involved and what my concerns were, he said if I was subpoenaed I’d have to testify. This roommate has been causing me distress and has harassed me on multiple occasions. Others were aware of these occasions and my attempts to mediate things with him. I finally had enough and wanted to cut ties and wash my hands of all of it, and I will also be leaving the property as soon as possible. He has even made it difficult for me to talk to my landlords and they have ignored me since January 12th of this year. It felt like he was trying to gaslight me by saying what a nice guy this man is the whole exchange was very distressing.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: A personal injury case is a civil matter. Depending on the existing facts and the law, an experienced civil litigation attorney may be able to make a motion to quash the subpoena. If you are having problems, you should speak with an attorney, rather than post any more information online where anyone can find out what you said. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.