Asked in Estate Planning and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Cam my mother give me a 30 day notice if I have lived in my house for 8 years? And didn't rent from her? she put in her

My grandmother bought a home for me 8 years ago, the house was in her name, when she died the house went into y mother name and was not even listed on the trust. There is a lot of info that goes with his but my main concern is she just sent my fiance a 30-day notice to move out of the house I have lived in for 8 years. I tried to contact the trust attorney and they told me my mom called them and told them not to speak to me. When I informed her that I was also in the trust the lady changed her tone and said shew would have the lawyers call me back. I don't think I will. I need help please... She was my only loving family member and I am extremely introverted and don't know who to turn to. I need legal help.

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie King
Julie King
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Monterey, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Unfortunately, no lawyer in the world can answer your question without reading your grandmother's trust. That is the key to this whole situation. One other note: If the law firm represented the trustee of your grandmother's trust, that law firm cannot advise you because you are a beneficiary. There are strict ethical codes for estate planning lawyers such that the lawyers can EITHER represent and advise the trustee OR they can represent a beneficiary, but cannot represent both in the same matter. So, if your mother was/is trustee and the law firm represents her as trustee, the law firm ethically cannot talk to you. You need your own lawyer to represent your interests. Best wishes.

Yelena Gurevich agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.