Dallas, TX asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Texas

Q: Who do I contact about a bond being set excessively high?

My fiance was arrested for POC PG1 >=4g<200g. His bond is set at $200,000. This is his first drug offense. I wouldn't have really thought anything about it and would have waited to file for a reduction, until I noticed that there is another inmate, in the same facility, with the same exact charge with a bond set at $25,000. So I continued looking and my fiance has the highest bond in the facility with the exception of 1 man with a 500,000 dollar bond for murder. The charges I compared range from the same charge at $25,000 to 3 inmates with criminal conspiracy Poc pg1 >=400g with a $175,000 bond. This makes me believe this would fall under the 8th AMMENDMENT and would be "excessive bond". Am I wrong in my thought process?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The purpose of bail is to ensure the defendant's appearance at court and to ensure the safety of the community or victim. A POCS case doesn't really have a victim so perhaps there was something about his situation that concerned the judge about the defendant's willingness to appear in court. Perhaps something he said... perhaps a prior Bail Jumping or Failure to Appear... perhaps he has prior felony convictions that might cause him to be indicted as a repeat or habitual offender... His attorney is the person in the best position to find out and also the only person other than the defendant that can attempt to get it lowered. The defendant should probably talk to his attorney about it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.