Washington, DC asked in Tax Law for Maryland

Q: I've been paying taxes on property for 60 years.. How can I get a reimbursement as they say I no longer own it?

We have been paying taxes for years and just found out the property is no longer ours. We've been paying taxes every year for over 60 years since the death of our father. How can I get my money back from the state of Maryland.. They sent me statements and accepted my money for property taxes for sixty years for property that they now say I/we no longer own.. I need help..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cedulie Renee Laumann
Cedulie Renee Laumann
  • Crownsville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Generally speaking anyone can pay anyone else's property taxes... the state will not reimburse someone for paying taxes on property they do not own.

However, the question prompts another - how was there confusion on the ownership of the property? Tax bills show the name of the record owner, and if statements for the annual tax bills were mailed they presumably listed the owner name. Property can only change hands by a deed. Did the property go through tax sale?

While not legal advice, I hope that this general information helps answer your question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.