Bristow, VA asked in Traffic Tickets for Virginia

Q: In VA, can I contest a speeding ticket with wrong vehicle information and win?

The ticket I received has a completely different vehicle listed and I've never owned a vehicle with the listed info. Info on the ticket: 2004 Chevy 2D and wrong license plate. My vehicle is a 2021 Dodge 2D and only first digit of the plate matches the ticket. The other digits don't match and are different enough that it's not just a 'fat fingered' or clerical error.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel P Leavitt
Daniel P Leavitt pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Midlothian, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Yes you can contest it of course with a not guilty plea. Your success depends on whether they can identify you and prove you drove the speed cited. They can amend the summons to fix that error. I doubt you will be successful but you might if the officer is confused and if you handle it right.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.