Pontiac, MI asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan

Q: Can I fight an improper lane use ticket?

I was turning left onto a street that has a ramp on the right hand side that leads to a major highway. I was given a ticket for turning into the far right lane to go onto the ramp. I’m not denying that it’s a law to turn into the closest lane first and then get all the way over but I do feel that it’s petty as many people turn into the far right lane to take the ramp. I’ve used that ramp so many times and for many years and have never been pulled over for making that turn. Even when a cop is sitting at the intersection. I also do not have anything on my record. What are my odds of winning in court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You can fight. Request a formal hearing. You won't win as a matter of law. Police have discretion; people do things in front of cops all the time - sometimes the cop just lets them slide, other times they just don't see it happen. It doesn't change the fact that in this instance, the cop saw you and issued you a ticket.

Now, what could happen through a formal hearing is that the cop may now say "you know what, I'm okay with just a warning this time". You could also negotiate for something lower.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.