Pelham, NH asked in Criminal Law for New Hampshire

Q: Is it a good idea to get a lawyer before an arraignment for misdemeanor charges?

On March 3rd I had an incident with my ex girlfriend. I was called down to the police station after for questioning. After talking to them I was arrested

My charges are:

-Class A misdemeanor domestic violence simple assualt (I grabbed her arm)

-Class B misdemeanor Criminal Mischief (I threw her phone into snow)

My Arraignment is March 30th. I plan to plea guilty or no contest as I already confessed the crime to the police. My family however is encouraging that I reach out for legal aid and possibly an attorney, because an attorney may be able to get me a plea deal. So I'm just reaching out to see if my family is correct on the matter, and if an attorney could infact get me a plea deal. I'm not too worried about fines. I could however face potential jail time for my class A misdemeanor, and I know that jail time would devastate my mental health.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard D. Harden
Leonard D. Harden
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Lebanon, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: A DV simple assault carries with it many unforeseen consequences. It may impact your firearms rights and result in travel restrictions to Canada. I would encourage you to consult with a criminal defense attorney in the area where you are charged.

In many cases charges can be amended to avoid some consequences that impact housing, employment and recreation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.