Memphis, TN asked in Immigration Law for Tennessee

Q: Will applying for a marriage green card make me lose my place getting a green card through my employer?

Hello, My wife is currently in the process of getting her green card through her employer and waiting for government's approval on her case. Her employer said it may take around 2 years for her to get it. I heard a marriage green card will speed up this process but will this make her lose her place in line getting a green card through her employer? We thought it's more cost effective to get it through her employer but since we have elderly grandparents oversea. I think it's worth it if we apply for it through marriage but since I'm not good with paperwork. I was hoping to find out if she could still get it through her employer if we have trouble applying for it through marriage.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL

A: Yes a marriage based green card application can still be filed during the pendency of an employment based green card application. A work permit can be issued within 5 months from the time the case is filed which will allow your wife to work for any employer. You should retain an immigration to process the case from start to finish. One Issue that is relevant to your case is whether you’re a US citizen which you did not specify.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.