Atlanta, GA asked in Probate for Georgia

Q: Do I need a lawyer to file an objection to the petition of administration for a probate or can I file an objection. GA

8 children, 4 out of 8 were excluded in moms will. Since them one of the 4 has passed intestate with no spouse or children. So, the land and home which was shared interest 4 ways must now be divided 1/4 for the 3 in the will and 1/7 of the 1/4 for the split of the brother who passed intestate. The problem is 1 sibling who was left of of the will has filed the petition to administer the probate. The other 3 who were left out will not contest, giving them the majority. Because these siblings did some evil things towards our parents, they were omitted from the will of our mom who passed after our father. We want to file an objection but have been told that we have to have a local attorney file and that we can not do it ourselves. IF she is appointed, we want to make sure she is not empowered by the courts to sell property and that stipulations are put in place.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert W. Hughes Jr.
Robert W. Hughes Jr.
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You do not need a lawyer to file a caveat. As I tell folks all the time, you don't need a dentist to pull a tooth either. However, I would not recommend doing either without professional help. You should locate an attorney who handles probate matters to ensure you are getting the right advice. Lawyers who specialize work throughout the state and should be able to help you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.