New Orleans, LA asked in Real Estate Law for Louisiana

Q: How to obtain ownership of property that was sold to a third party?

My mother and her sister have a real estate agreement where earnest money was put down and a payment plan was to be completed to transfer ownership of the property. Her sister stopped all communication and did not take the last payment and sold the property to someone else after my mother made several attempts to bring her to a lawyer to finalize everything. There was only a payment of $700 that was left and the deed and title were to be transfer with the lawyer but she did not comply.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: This is too complicated to respond to on this type forum--also, additional information is needed to properly respond. You need to immediately contact a lawyer in your area and bring the paperwork/agreement to a meeting with the lawyer and specifically discuss your situation and obtain your options. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.