Asked in Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Mississippi

Q: I am in desperate need of help. Who can I talk to?

I am in desperate need of help. I am being held in Marshall County Ms and my civil and constitutional rights are being grossly violated along with other inmates. The showers and plumbing have drainage issues and always back up. We have no access to light the lights in the cells do not work and there are steel plates welded over the windows. I have been denied freedom to practice my religion as I am Muslim. My religious material from a reputed Islamic store was held and refused to be given to me. They continue to serve me pork. I am being held in segregation although I have not broken any rules. I have been denied access to the courts to go on record, denied a preliminary hearing. I have been here almost two years on a1st degree murder charge. I have not been allowed access to a law library. I have written several letters to the clerk of court they are all sent back unopened. They have appointed me a public defender who is a bankruptcy lawyer and had no experience with criminal law.

1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Madison, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: You may want to consider either you or your family contacting an experienced criminal defense and constitutional lawyer to get on board and handle the criminal matter and the civil rights violations. Feel free to reach out to any lawyer on here by clicking the contact information next to their name. Most lawyers are willing to offer a free consultation to see how they can help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.