Athens, AL asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Alabama

Q: Can my boyfriend leave at 16 in the state of alabama without parental consent?

So, my boyfriend is 16 and i’m 17. we are currently expecting a baby. his parents are not supportive. they’ve took away all his belongings and made him sleep on the floor in their room. we aren’t aloud to talk unless it’s at a doctors visit. his grandparents have full custody of him but he lives with his parents. they’ve called him worthless, a disappointment, and countless other names. he wants to leave & im worried he’ll run away & if he does then, he will come stay with me, but legally can they do anything? also what are the emancipation laws in alabama and how could he go about that? he’s working full time. he turns 17 in august of this year.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.