Saint Louis, MO asked in Criminal Law for Illinois

Q: Have I pled guilty to a crime after successful completion of court supervision?

I'm applying for a respiratory care practitioner license and a question on the application is "have you ever been convicted of or pled guilty to a crime?" 2.5 years ago I was given Court supervision for retail theft, and I successfully completed supervision after 2 years. I'm not sure if I should answer this question as yes or no.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dan Nold
Dan Nold
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Crystal Lake, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If you have not expunged the matter, then the answer might be yes. You said you were given court supervision. If that were a result of a plea deal and you plead guilty, then yes. If the case went to trial and you were found guilty, I would say technically, the answer would be no.

So, probably, you have to answer yes, unless you have expunged the matter. You are potentially eligible for expungement 2 years after completion of court supervision.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.