Saint Marys, GA asked in Divorce, Family Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Child Custody for Georgia

Q: Husband wants divorce, found someone else after 21yrs. Moved out, got own place and we're still married.

We have 2 kids. He made me move to camden county after 19 yrs in Florida, he had me leave everything. Moved here had a kid, he feels tied down and don't like me nagging about his drinking. He's now in a relationship and moved out about 5 months ago. Doesn't want to give me half of his 401k, mothers mother or taxes. We got 7000 last year, this year he said we're getting $500. And I haven't seen it. My insurance got taken away I have PTSD and he took bank account away. I had to get a job at Cracker Barrel because I was at home mother home schooling older son and being pregnant, while he chases women around at bars and was staying out until 3-4 am. He is paying the rent and bills now, but said from now on hes giving me $1200 for child support and not paying anything else. I'm struggling to get a second job and can't afford daycare. I need help, I don't know what to do. I'm so sick and depressed over all this.

1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Cruz Noellien
Elizabeth Cruz Noellien
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Duluth, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You will need to file for divorce so that you can request child support and a request of your assets such as the 401k, and alimony if you qualify to receive it. In addition to child support you should also request help paying for child care. If you are in Georgia, child care is added to the base child support amount.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.