Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Georgia Arbitration / Mediation Law Questions & Answers
Q: Can you please help me on what the best thing to do is or can i get a attorney

My identity was stolen and used for business fraud. Also issues worth the epa and dtsc.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 10, 2021

A Georgia attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Your post is very brief and it could be difficult for someone to figure out what kind of attorney you're looking for. You could try reposting (don't include personal information - this is a public forum),... Read more »

Q: my car caught fire today at my workplace, I believe it was an electrical fire due to a recall on the 2017 NissnSen
Tristan Blain Morrison
Tristan Blain Morrison answered on Apr 28, 2021

I'm sorry to hear about your car. If you were injured while working, then you have a workers' compensation claim. If the injury was serious, you should speak with a lawyer to bring your claim immediately. If you were not working, but you were seriously injured, then you will need a... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Georgia on
Q: Can I get a criminal trespass notification if I wasn't at someone's house or involved in a situation.

My boyfriends exwife took out a criminal trespassing warrant on us because she got mad at him when he dropped off the kids. I wasn't there and was at work but my name was on it too. Can she do that? Can I press charges for this?

Tracy S. Reeves Jr.
Tracy S. Reeves Jr. answered on Nov 18, 2020

It appears as though you have a defense to the criminal trespass. Depending on the circumstances, she could be charged with filing a false police report.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Georgia on
Q: I have been married for 34 yrs. My husband had a mistress for 30 of those I stand to gain more?

yes my way of life was changed overnite when we separated. His way of control. Thinking I wld ask him back. Has caused me 3 yrs of therapy etc.

V. Joy Edwards
V. Joy Edwards answered on Sep 10, 2020

If the cause of the separation was adultery, we can ask for more than 50% of the assets. If you were/are dependent on him for income, then alimony etc. would definitely be a consideration. We can discuss your options and best course of action when we get more details. Please call the office -... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: My apartment is seriously infested with roaches

They have had pest control come out but he isn't using proper chemicals for German Roaches. I had to throw out my microwave because a nest was in it, what are my options and rights

Paula J. Mcgill
Paula J. Mcgill answered on Jan 13, 2020

You can sue the landlord in Superior Court to force a repair (AKA extermination of the roaches) and obtain damages for failure to repair. If you live in a rental house, you also have the option of informing the landlord that you intend to repair the situation yourself by hiring your own licensed... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Civil Litigation for Georgia on
Q: Course of action when a conspiracy to provide incomplete records pursuant to a subpoena request is discovered?

A subpoena request was made to a company (i.e. AT&T) to provide phone records. The company deliberately provided incomplete records under the direction of the entity who requested the subpoena.(i.e. police department)

The incomplete records were knowingly used to, obtain an arrest... Read more »

Priscilla T. Upshaw
Priscilla T. Upshaw answered on Jan 4, 2020

It is best to contact an attorney who can assist you with the details of your case. An attorney will be able to navigate through this much better than you can alone.

We are glad to assist you. Contact us whenever you are ready.

I wish you well.

-The Upshaw Law Firm, (770) 240-0922.

2 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Divorce for Georgia on
Q: My ex wife was my conservator. She took my money and got me to sign a paper for a uncontested divorce.

She took $30,000 from our cd account and took my name off. She been sleeping with a guy at the shop she worked in. She appoint him to cut my hair. She left our residence to fellow her affair for a year and a half. Still getting paid for service, but not rendering services .Which ended in a child.... Read more »

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Jan 2, 2020

You need to speak with an attorney about your situation. No one can give you advice about whether your divorce is proper and / or if you have any recourse about the funds taken until they review your paperwork and discuss your case with you.

--Regina Edwards | |...
Read more »

View More Answers

4 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Georgia on
Q: How do you file for more time to retain a lawyer if your spouse has filed for divorce? Judge gave 2 wks. I work FT!HELP

It was a Rule Nisi but the judge wouldn't hear it until mediation and only gave 2 weeks. Husband filed right before Thanksgiving and served ammended papers seeking Rule Nisi right before Christmas. He's trying for custody. Been so busy at work and have had to take time off to do all I... Read more »

Kim Ebert
Kim Ebert answered on Feb 2, 2019

Contact a competent attorney today and let your attorney deal with the Court forevermore ;)

Otherwise, contact the Court. You’ll find yhe sooner you retain an attorney the sooner the plane has a pilot.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Georgia on
Q: What is difference between mediation and arbitration
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 16, 2018

Arbitration is generally binding, while a mediator generally tries to assist the disputing parties toward a resolution without rendering a binding decision. This is more or less a fundamental attribute that distinguishes the two alternate dispute resolution techniques from one another across the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: i recieved a dispossessory proceding, how do i dispute this?

i recieved a dispossessory proceding this morning. I live in my fathers house and pay $400 a month to live in the garage. He has a joint lease with his wife. He loves me, his wife hates me. She filed the paperwork for it. For the reason, she put "party displays hostile behaivior and is not on... Read more »

Thomas A. Grossman
Thomas A. Grossman answered on Aug 3, 2018

I assume you mean you received "Notice" of a dispossessory proceeding. I have never heard of that. I must also assume that you must attend the proceeding if you want to fight it. Since you are in Georgia, and I live in Palm Springs, California, I can't comment on Georgia law. You... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Divorce and Family Law for Georgia on
Q: In my divorce decree my ex husband gave me a car. He was suppose to pay off the car and sign the title over.

Value of the car in the decree wqs $5000.. Unfortunately he let the car get repo. What can I do??

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Jul 29, 2018

Depending on what your decree says, you can file for contempt. However, if there is no provision that if he fails to pay off the car, and it gets repossessed, then he would owe you the value of the car, he may be in contempt, but there is no remedy. The court can't modify the order and make... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Georgia on
Q: What could I do with the proof I have that my husband is cheating before the divorce is final?
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Mar 5, 2018

It probably does not matter that your husband is cheating. Most judges grant divorces on no fault grounds, so proving infidelity often does not change the outcome.

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Child Support and Divorce for Georgia on
Q: Is it best to get child support enforcement involved since our mediation agreement isn't signed yet by the court?
P. Justin Thrailkill
P. Justin Thrailkill answered on Feb 4, 2018

No. If child support is agreed upon, you are complicating things if you do that. File a motion to enforce the settlement agreement and set it for a final hearing.

2 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia on
Q: Visitation is agreed upon with mediation. Im the primary but spouse blocks me from calling my child when he has him.

Not divorce yet but have an agreement settled in mediation. But just found out it doesn't take effect until judge sign off. Spouse also signed over the car saying he will keep up insurance on it and pay the car note but the car will be repossessed soon. What can I do??

Ellaretha Coleman
Ellaretha Coleman answered on Feb 3, 2018

If the order is not yet signed, a telephone contact clause should be added to the order to address contact with the minor child while with each parent. If there is a delay in getting the order signed by the judge because one party is delaying or now refusing to submit the mediated settlement... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Divorce for Georgia on
Q: If me and my husband are getting divorced ,he filed first but i responded within the 30 day period, but we jointly car

But he took it and hid it at his sisters, cant i legally go get it and make her move her car that has it blocked in and stored in her garage. He left me with nothing to drive?

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Dec 4, 2017

You cannot get the car - that would be trespassing. You need to ask the judge for a temporary hearing to address the car issue.

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Child Custody and Family Law for Georgia on
Q: I want to write a written motion, about having my child while My Divorce is ongoing. I don't know how to start it.

I would like to know how to form my written motion asking to have visitation to my daughter, while my Divorce is ongoing. My ex-wife, called the police on me stating that I was an estranged boyfriend and I kidnapped my own child. I stayed away from answering her messages because she isn't a... Read more »

Ellaretha Coleman
Ellaretha Coleman answered on Jul 27, 2017

Motions can be complex and are fact sensitive. You should seriously consider consulting with an attorney if custody and visitation are at issue in your divorce case. There are not going to be any form documents for you to use. You will need to outline why the child should be with you and why that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Divorce and Family Law for Georgia on
Q: A friend recently divorced. The only papers filed with the court are hand written, from mediation.

In mediation, he had no legal counsel. He is disabled and was under medication at the time. Disabled vet. He has zero income or resources. And has been waiting over 2 years for Social Security disability. His ex-wife owes him $50,000 per the mediated agreement but has refused to pay. She is... Read more »

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Apr 7, 2017

No one is going to be able to give advice until someone gets a certified copy of the final divorce paperwork for the courthouse.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.