Moses Lake, WA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Washington

Q: Dad passed away with no will, Do I have to go through probate?

The only heirs are me and my sister, she's in another state and cannot come down to washington. my dads house is paid off and I want to keep the house. my sister has agreed to sign a waiver to give me the house. Do I have to still go through probate? If I do, do I have to go through personal property via probate or can I settle that privately with my sister?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Keith Armstrong
Keith Armstrong
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Spanaway, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Hi, Washington resident. Since this estate has real estate, you will have to go through probate. You make arrangements to keep the house, but there needs to be some funds to pay for the probate costs and possible tax return. Something has to be sold from the estate to proceed with paying for probate costs. Yes, you can have an agreement with your sister, but the authority to make that deal will come from the probate authority. And you, if eligible may able to be the estate administrator to get this done. No need for your sister to come down. I would seek an experienced counsel in your county to help you with a pending probate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.