Jupiter, FL asked in Employment Law, Contracts and Business Law for Florida

Q: Refused to sign a termination agreement, can I get in trouble?

I went to pick up my final paycheck after quitting a few days ago due to paychecks bouncing for myself and other employees multiple times in a row. When I went to pick up check the owner had a packet of paperwork saying termination agreement and asked me to sign it saying it was just for W-2 purposes. I read through briefly and saw it was also a "release", non disclosure agreement, a non compete for 24 months in a very large area starting from when I sign, and other protections for them. I refused to sign as I already had my check in hand. Is there anything they can do to me? I recently became aware of a lot of shady activities the owners do, and along with continuously writing bad check I was wondering if that's why they tried to have me sign the agreement.

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If your employer had wanted you to sign such a document, they should have asked you to sign an employment agreement before your job was at an end. So no, you wisely choose not to sign it, although if you had you possibly would be able to argue that there was no consideration for the agreement and it would be void for that reason.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.