Q: In December of 2021, my child’s father and I were doing a drop off. During which..

I asked him why he was not answering any of my calls/text regarding our child. He decided to flip the switch and play victim. “I don’t have to speak to you.” Okay but we have a child together. There is no reason for us to be bitter and fight. The conversation turned bitter and he finally struck a nerve. I slapped him. He called the law and had charges pressed against me. Fast forward to now, he says that he reacted bitterly and now wants to drop the charges. The prosecutors office is telling him that regardless, I’ll still be issued a warrant, arrested and receive a court date. My question is, will all this really happen? It’s now March and I haven’t heard anything. Will the charges be dropped? I’ve never been in trouble before so this is all new to me. And in my opinion, we should be standing in front of a judge handling our custody case, not a criminal judge. Any advice is helpful!

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard W. Noel
Richard W. Noel
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ

A: Yes. At the end of the day, it's up to the prosecutor whether charges against you proceed. A victim's wishes are only part of the equation. You're also admitting to assaulting the victim on a public website. Not recommended. I do suggest you speak with an attorney in your area who can review the case and give you guidance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.