Litchfield, IL asked in Criminal Law for Illinois

Q: We’re my rights violated and can I beat this case

I was a passenger, had just gotten off of work. We had been pulled over because the drivers tags didn’t match the vehicle. I had no idea about it. They got my I. D. And ran both our names. Both clear. Then they came back to the vehicle and told us they were gonna do a search of the vehicle. As I was getting out of the car I grabbed my personal book bag to take with me. The police officer told me to leave it in the car. I told him I did not consent to any search or seizure. I was then searched, my bag searched, and was arrested. I did not consent to a search and was never mirandized.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard W. Noel
Richard W. Noel
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ

A: I can't speak to your jurisdiction specifically, but fictitious plates on a car arguably give an officer probable cause to search the vehicle. However you need to speak with your attorney who can try to help you with a defense or suppression motion. Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.