Claremore, OK asked in Adoption and Child Support for Oklahoma

Q: I'm allowing my children to get adopted by there step father. Does it absolve past arrears?

DHS is not involved in any capacity other than as a pass through for payments. I'm aware that future payments will no longer be required. Arrears was being pursued pro se and only by her. Does this also cancel the contempt case on child support as well. Could I also ask her to drop arrears on this matter. It is being filled as contested to save money and limit court appearances as they are doing this pro se

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: You should contact and familY and adoption attorney to best evaluate your specific scenario. However, I would suspect they could negotiate a term for your consent to waive anything in arrears. While this is not guaranteed if an awoc is being pursued, it could be something pursued through a consent agreement. However, since every case has its own specifics, you should contact an attorney to assist you in this matter.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.