Miami, FL asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: Can my probation officer violate me for being homeless

I was evicted a few weeks back and have no way to pay for a place to live so I am currently couch surfing

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael  Mayoral
Michael Mayoral
  • Coral Gables, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Generally speaking, you can only violate your probation for violating one of the terms or conditions of the order of probation in your case. You have to make sure to check in with your probation and make sure that they know about your current living situation. If you are homeless, your probation officer should just categorize your "address" or known location as "transient," but require you to check in with them on certain dates and times. The best thing you can do is make sure you keep your probation officer aware of your situation. You want to avoid them going to your listed address, finding out you don't live there, and assuming that you have "absconded" or are hiding from them.

4 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.