Asked in Family Law for South Carolina

Q: Do I have to hire a lawyer in order to regain custody of my child?

In 2018 my sons paternal aunt took me to court and was granted custody of him because of my drug use. I entered treatment a couple years later and will now be sober 2 years on June 30th. I also have since had a daughter that is 7 months old and is also bilogicaly her niece and she has never tried to take her. Do I have to hire a lawyer to get him back or can I petition the court without one?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brittany Holmes
Brittany Holmes
  • Okatie, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Based on what you’ve shared, I would encourage you to hire a lawyer. There may need to be more than just a petition and having an attorney analyze your case prior to filing could be beneficial. This is typically not a case that you should approach alone as there seems to be a few different things to consider.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.