Asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Arkansas

Q: My husband was in a wreck around 20 years ago. He was represented by an attorney and received a cash settlement for his

Injuries but now 20 years later, the injuries are proving to be even more of a problem. Causing him pain, Dr bills and missed days from work (he has a very active job). Is it possible to go back and see if more compensation is possible or not doable because of the previous settlement. Thank you.. (we live in Arkansas and the car he was in was hit by a semi truck)

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Arkansas attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Unfortunately, this is difficult to do in most accident cases. I'm sorry. Accident cases are generally concluded with a form called a release. In most instances, the release serves to prevent any further claims, known and unknown at the time, arising from an accident. In other words, "When you take this money, we're done here." Insurance companies almost always require that the claimant sign a release to receive their funds.

Still, what I describe is generality. The best way to find out for certain is to find your file, reach out to your attorney, or reach out to the opposing attorney to review the terms for conclusion of the case, in particular the release, OR the existence of any provisions for future medical expenses. If you can't do any of those things, you could consider reaching out to an Arkansas attorney or investigator to see if the file can be located after the passage of twenty years, or first see if you could do it for free by starting with the insurance carrier. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.