North Brunswick, NJ asked in Child Support for New Jersey

Q: My child support and the case is closed but I still have a judgement with a zero balance. My ex wife is deceased.

My child support case is closed but I still have a child support judgement with a zero balance. My ex wife passed away in 2017 but she does not have an administrator of estate so I can’t serve my motion to anyone to get rid of the child support judgement. If I put in a motion with the proof will that work

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bari Weinberger
Bari Weinberger
  • Parsippany, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Thank you for your question. I am sorry that you are still having issues with child support. File your Motion and at the very beginning of the Certification (the document you file along with your Certification explaining why you are entitled to the relief you seek), explain how there is no party to serve. Also state same within the cover letter sent to the court that accompanies the notice of motion and certification. Given the unusual circumstances of the case, you may wish to consult with a Family Law attorney to more fully discuss your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.