Belle Chase, LA asked in Tax Law for Louisiana

Q: Can I pay my late grandmothers property taxes to take ownership in three years of her house?

My grandmother passed away last year, and the house was left to her three children. I have no contact with my dad, aunt or uncle. I lived with her for three years and continued to live there after her passing. She has delinquent taxes as of 2021. I was inquiring about paying these taxes. Would I be able to pay the property taxes, and fight for owner ship in three years if the money is not repayed to me? The house is located in Gretna, Louisiana.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: This is not as easy as just paying the delinquent taxes, but you can attempt to do so however there are a number of specific steps you have to take in order to (eventually) obtain clear title to the property. I would recommend that you contact a real estate attorney in your area and set up a consultation with the attorney for the express purpose of obtaining the procedure and how to accomplish this. You may also want to contact the local tax assessor office and ask the same question. This way you know what you are facing over the next 3-4 years as well as the estimated costs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.