Minneapolis, MN asked in Libel & Slander for Missouri

Q: I know defamation and libel is hard to prove in Missouri but I feel like we have a case here.

Me and my wife have been attacked by a couple in our town for weeks now. Numerous posts on FB and numerous videos saying things that have been proven false. My wife is a teacher in our town and they have made numerous posts attacking her career as well and its getting severely out of hand. We have tried to settle this with them numerous times to no avail, it's starting to effect her work as students and parents are talking at it and students are asking my wife about these things. Everything they have posted is publicly available on FB and they have blocked us from their accts and pages in an attempt to keep us from seeing these things. We have copies of everything including all videos that they are still making every day. We just want this all to stop and for them to understand this isn't ok. I am near STL and would really like to sit down and hear what kind of options we have available.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Your next step is to schedule a consultation with an attorney who understands and has experience with defamation matters under Missouri law. Generally, a cease and desist letter from an attorney is a good first step before jumping into litigation.

I am sorry that you and your wife are being subjected to negative posts online.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.