Hazlehurst, MS asked in Criminal Law for Mississippi

Q: I think they trying serve me papers for bad checks, I haven't had a account in over 10 years with a bank

I haven't had any checks in over 10 years, and I'm trying to see is it a statue of limitations on that issue, plus I'm sure my hand writing isn't on them, I understand they was my checks, so I'm responsible, but I don't have any money, struggling at home keeping my 70 year old moms, I need help and don't know what to do, the checks are in different counties, I live in Hazlehurst Mississippi

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Madison, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: It really depends on whether you were ever arrested. If you were, then the statute of limitations does not apply; however, you may end up having a speedy trial issue given the length of time. Regardless, it is going to be in your best interest to either hire a lawyer or have a public defender start looking into the allegations to see what, if anything, can be done.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.