Allentown, PA asked in Traffic Tickets for Pennsylvania

Q: If a police officers says they will get the points lowered if you plead not guilty is a lawyered needed?

This is my first ever traffic violation.

I received 2 citations for driving 113 on the turnpike,careless driving and speeding.

I told him I missed my exit and had to drive an additional hour after already driving for an hour and a half. He sympathized and said he understands the frustration because it happened to him before and he told me to plead not guilty and even to remind him in court if he does not remember me saying he will talk to the judge about reducing the points.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellis B. Klein
Ellis B. Klein
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Doylestown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Here's your problem. At that speed a judge is going to be upset. Really upset. It is ultimately up to the judge even if the cop wants to help you out. If things go wrong you will likely lose your license, get a ton of points and your insurance can go up or they can drop your insurance totally. You need to get a lawyer. There are things you can do in advance to make the judge happy and if the judge is happy, you will be also.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.