New York, NY asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Louisiana

Q: I am relocating to Tx with my 3 kids. If we are there for less than 60 days til court w their dad, will that look bad?

My attorney (that I no longer have because she’s moving) mailed my soon to be ex husband…a relocation request, that he got on March 12th. But he’s told my kids he won’t let them move to Tx. He just got out of jail for domestic aggravated abuse, & has been in & out of rehab for the past year. As well as hasn’t paid child support. He’s never taken care of all 3 by himself before without his moms help either. I have to be out of my apartment on May 2nd, & don’t have anywhere to go in Louisiana. If I go to Tx with the kids until our court date & am in Tx with them for less than 60 days, is that going to look bad on me when we do go to court concerning our relocation / custody?

I am the domicile parent currently & have been for 2 years…

We are in Lafayette Louisiana, case is going on in Jennings Louisiana

No court date set yet, but when there is it will be for my relocation request. He does have a criminal protective order, but it doesn’t include my kids, just my protection. Til 2023

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You have a court date coming up but you don't say whether it is because you filed a Motion to Relocate or whether he filed a Restraining Order to keep you in Louisiana

Hire a new lawyer quickly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.