Asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Mississippi

Q: I was charged with felony DUI in 2001, in MS. Is there NE chance I would be able to get my rights back, to hunt & vote?

I was charged in the state of MS, felony DUI. I’m a resident of FL. I was told I would need to go thru MS for this. I’ve been in No trouble whatsoever since this, and as a result of this dui, I haven’t had even a single sip of any alcohol either. This is coming up on 20 years ago that this took place. I heard in MS its almost impossible to get your rights restored, unlike in FL. Will I be required to hire an attorney? Will it have to be in the same county, (Attala County) or would any attorney in the state of MS be able to do this? What all would this entail if I wanted to try to do it on my own? Thank u so much for any help or information given!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: You will need to hire an attorney for this. The petition will need to be filed in Attala County because that is where you caught the charge. Any attorney in the state can handle this for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.