Jaffrey, NH asked in Divorce for New Hampshire

Q: My husband and I want a divorce but want to refinance the house, I get the equity and he gets the house.

Do we do this before, after or during the divorce? I need the money for a new start for me and my children but I’m afraid I won’t get it somehow.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ora Schwartzberg
Ora Schwartzberg
  • Plymouth, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: The best way is for the two of you to meet with an attorney mediator who will help you identify and resolve all the financial issues at one time. Once you reach an agreement you can decide when you would like to refinance. You can then file your agreement with the Court along with a joint petition for divorce and never have to appear in person in front of a judge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.