Oakland, CA asked in Traffic Tickets for California

Q: Im 17, hit parked car and left. Now hit/run reckless drive prop damage.Turns out it was police chiefs car.Need attorney?

The car I made contact with was the police chiefs kid at school. I didn't think I did any damage police report shows some paint bubbling and a scratch. It seemed really outrageous that they would press charges since I offered to pay for the damage and apologized profusely when I was contacted by the police. Then I found out that it is the police lieutenant for the state of California who owns the vehicle. Now I am worried that theDA will feel pressured to go ahead and press charges since this is a high-profile person. Everybody I have talked to says they usually drop charges like this since I am a minor and have no other record. I am in the process of joining the Air Force and this is stalling my security clearance. Do I need an attorney for this?? The charges have been filed and I have been told to wait until the district attorney contacts me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: you need an attorney to deal with criminal charges. He can also help negotiate payment for the damage. You don't talk about your insurance, I assume you have none, could be a ticket in that for you as well, currently $900+ if no insurance, get some right away before the charges land, you will do better in court. Next time you hit a car, anyone's car, leave a note with your information and contact info on it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.