Muskegon, MI asked in Family Law and Adoption for Michigan

Q: How do you have a bio parent sogn off theirnrights when you have no contact woth them?

I want my husband who has now known my son for almost 10 years to adopt him so he has parental rights and we all have the same last name. I live in Michigan and because bio dad pays child support I guess he has rights to my son. I don't even receive my child support every month. My son will be 14 and has never met bio dad. What are next steps to have bio dad aogb off his rights? I have no contact with bio dad either.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You can try a step-parent adoption.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.