Deerfield Beach, FL asked in Family Law and Elder Law for Florida

Q: If I have POA for my father and his estranged wife comes back after 10 years and gets one who's is active?

They do not live together and have not been together over 10 years. Dad now has dementia and dad's family allowed her to come back and take over. She is receiving all of dad's money but has abandoned him. He's being evicted from his apartment because she has not been paying the bills. We now have an open case with DCF because I called and reported the neglect. I was trying to speak with his leasing office and was told she has POA on file and they can't to me. I also have POA from 2017 when dad was in his right state of mind. I don't even know how she was able to get POA seeing that he's not in his right state. I just want to get him an a memory care facility but I don't know if her POA has canceled mine.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amy B Dow
Amy B Dow
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Jupiter, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: First, just because someone has dementia, does not mean they are incapable of signing a new Power of Attorney (e.g. some folks with dementia have moments when they are very lucid/intelligent and others where they are not....if they sign during a "lucid interval" then the POA is valid).

However, its just as likely, based on your description, that the estranged partner came back and is taking advantage of your father in his infirmed state.

In my firm, Elder Needs Law, PLLC, I focus on Medicaid Planning (e.g. we can help your father get access to benefits to help pay for home health or facility care) and Estate Planning (e.g. Wills, Trusts, and yes, Powers of Attorney).

However, if his mental state is so impaired, your best bet is to consult with a guardianship attorney. Please call our office and we would be happy to introduce you to the guardianship attorney affiliated with our firm.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.