Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Kentucky

Q: I’ve been granted Administratrix of my mother’s estate. What do I do about her townhome?

I was granted administratrix of my mother’s estate this past September. She didn’t own a home but she lived in a townhome that is a co-op (she partially owned it) so she paid a certain amount down to move in & if she decided to sell it back to the complex, they’d give her her money back. Well, my brother now lives there. Our Aunt went down & had the townhome put in his name after our mom died & before anyone was appointed over her estate. They didn’t ask for her death certificate or proof of administratrix. So, I technically own it but through the complex, he owns it. My other siblings & I want him to have the townhome. Do I have to sell it to him for the amount my mom paid on it? Or can I just sign it over to him? Her estate is close to being closed & I’m not sure how to go about her townhome when it’s already signed over to my brother & he’s been living in it since August.. but the complex didn’t have permission to do so.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: If all heirs agree, you can simply sign it over to him.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.