Wakefield, NE asked in Child Support for Nebraska

Q: Husband overpaid 6,000$ after he relinquished his rights,NE kept withholding his income. Can he recoup his money?

Child support enforcement kept taking weekly payments for 6 yrs. until we finally had a lawyer look into it and got a copy of the adoption order. He had an other child support order and didn't realize they had continued to take and pay for the one that was adopted. Currently, his child support cases are closed now. His account shows he over-paid 6,000$ but child support enforcement said nothing they can do? but if they withheld it without the right to they should have to withhold from the person who received the money and should not have? No one will help him get his money back, and we don't have money to hire an attorney and was told that you probably better cut your loses by an attorney...

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: You would need to speak with an attorney about the specifics of your case as to your options. Depending on the circumstances, you may be able to bring a cause of action against the parent that received money if they lawfully should not have. You might expect a counter claim to recoup other costs while the parental rights were intact, such as for an unpaid share of child care costs, etc. that might be used to deny the repayment even if child support was otherwise overpaid. Also, even if you get a judgment, it may be difficult to collect from the other parent. Sometimes it does not make sense financially overall to bring an action even when you have some grounds to do so. It would be very unusual to have a cause of action against the child support payment center in circumstances like this. The cause of action, if any, is likely against the other parent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.