Asked in Trademark for District of Columbia

Q: How could I request a refund for the transaction that did not take place?

We filed a patent application through a lawyer. The lawyer said it is suitable for the name we applied for. you can get this name. He said and we made the application. Then, 9 months later, the officer in the trade mark told us that 2 items were canceled due to name similarity with another company. Only we trusted the lawyer and made the application. And the products in those two items are important to us. In other words, we will not be able to get the name right at this stage, can we demand the money we paid from the lawyer back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fritz-Howard Raymond Clapp
Fritz-Howard Raymond Clapp
  • Trademarks Lawyer
  • Beverly Hills, CA

A: The attorney should not have given unqualified assurance that the mark could be registered merely on the basis of an initial search. Applications to register trademarks are reviewed by a USPTO examining attorney about six months after submission, and in your case apparently the examining attorney refused the application based on prior existing registrations too similar to yours. You cannot recover the USPTO filing fee, but you would be justified in demanding the attorney refund his/her fees for improperly promising a favorable result, which is an ethical breach.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.