San Diego, CA asked in Construction Law and Real Estate Law for Oregon

Q: My wife and I rented a condo. Construction next door knocked out a pipe and the entire complex had no water for 52 days.

It was during the holidays and we were forced to put a hotel on and meals on our credit card. Recently the insurance company agreed to pay for all but 20 dollars a day for our meal expenses. The entire situation really put us in a bad spot and now the insurance company for the construction company won’t even talk to me. I feel they owe us for the situation they put us in. Do I have a case?

1 Lawyer Answer
Katherine Goodman
Katherine Goodman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: If you have not contacted your landlord about reimbursement of the unpaid bills you can contact them as the landlord's insurance should pay for those as well. Additionally, as you are a renter you can contact a local landlord tenant attorney for advice on how to handle the request for reimbursement and any potential claims you may have against your landlord.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.