Orlando, FL asked in Business Law, Contracts and Communications Law for Puerto Rico

Q: My parents (dad 78 & mom 73) were tricked into signing a document which they did not know was a contract with Claro TV+

The sales person told them that since they are on social security the services with Claro TV+ in Puerto Rico was free for them. They also signed a document which tied them into a 24 month contract which they were not aware of. Moreover, they went without the TV service for 15 days after signing the paperwork.

Since then we found out that the document they signed was a 24 month contract, that the service is not free. They have to file an application with the federal govt for an FCP discount on broadband.

Not wanting a 24 month contract they went to a regional office in Mayaguez, PR to ask about cancelling the service and they are being charged $400 to cancel contract for breach. Since the company did not provide the services offered thru their own contract for more than 15 days are they not the ones who were in breach of the contract first?

I live in Florida, how can I help my folks? Please help me....

1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Unfortunately, this is a common practice: a salesperson saying whatever he/she can to close a sale. Leonine contracts such as this also makes it extremely difficult for a persona to wiggle out of, under normal circumstances. Also, these types of contracts unilaterally increase monthly payments each year, which increases the financial burden on your parents.

Your question does not state how long ago was the contract signed by your folks. However, I would consider raising a claim of financial abuse against your elderly parents. Based on the facts you've stated, both your parents receive (only?) social security. A case may be submitted through the Puerto Rico Board of Telecommunications (Junta de Regulación de Telecomunicaciones de Puerto Rico), requesting an investigation against Claro before taking the matter up to the Puerto Rico courts.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.