Swansea, MA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: My daughter recently had a baby with boyfriend who is now becoming vindictive. He has not paid a dime towards his son

She wants to move away to not deal with the drama he creates every day but is fearful he will get a lawyer to give him partial custody.He does not have a regular job.What are her options.She pays all the bills

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Under Florida law, unless and until the father goes to court to establish his legal rights to the child (paternity) the mother can do whatever she likes, including moving. If and when the father does go to court he will be entitled to timesharing (partial custody) and he will have a fixed child support obligation. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.