Ypsilanti, MI asked in Immigration Law for Michigan

Q: Can I change my F-1 Visa Status if I start my process for the Green Card through marriage?

I am an international student who has been in the USA for 5 years and I've been in a relationship for 6 years. We are planning to get married soon and therefore, start my process for the green card. I only have two semesters left to finish my bachelors, however, I wouldn't be able to pay school for those semesters, since I wasn't offered a scholarship. I was wondering if, once we start the process for my green card, I would be put into another Visa status until we receive the final decision from the USCIS, and then, I wouldn't need to follow the rules that international students have to follow, such as being a full-time student, or attending school at all. I wanted to wait until I could go to a better school with a scholarship at that time being an American citizen.

Thank you in advance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Traverse City, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You can apply for the green card but you are not put into another visa status while you wait. However, you do not accrue unlawful presence while you wait should your F1 visa expire or you fail to comply with the F1 requirements. In other words, you can stop attending school while your green card application is being processed and there should not be any problems because of it AS LONG AS your green card application is approved. However, there would be some negative consequences if your green card application is denied. For that reason, I would recommend that you engage the services of an experienced immigration attorney to make sure you qualify for the green card and to make sure that it is properly applied for to maximize the chances of prompt approval. Best wishes!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.