Youngsville, LA asked in Collections for Louisiana

Q: Received a Citation-15th Judicial District Court (studentloandebt) What do I do if can't pay in full to dismiss my case?

I received a Citation and being sued by my university for not paying my debt in full. It mentioned in the docket letter that I must pay in full amount (about 6k) which I do not have in my bank account. There are no other option of repaying my debt other than in full if I wanted my case dismissed. Where do I go or what do I do from here? I do not have any assets and cannot afford an attorney to navigate me through this Citation court case procedure. I am getting mixed answers online and unsure of what to do next or what my options are. I read somewhere online that failure to pay this will grant them to make a warrant for my arrest. I want to get through this without it reaching that point of arrest, but I do not have the funds to pay in full right now. What would happen next after a Citation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You can hire an attorney and see if the attorney can work out a resolution of your case with the suing party. Please note that since you have been sued and served with a citation, you have a certain period of time in which to respond to the lawsuit or the suing party can seek a (default) against you---in other words make sure you respond to the lawsuit as opposed to ignoring it. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.