Atlanta, GA asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Products Liability for Georgia

Q: Elderly mother. POA/medical/financial. Can I sell her house legally and use money to place her in assisted living?

I am her daughter and I've been caring for her for approximately a year I live out of state, and she's not wanting to move with me up to Knoxville because she's 93 years old and bedridden. I'd like to know if I can legally sell the house to pay for an assisted living place for her? She is truly not of right mind and really can't make any decisions of financial or health. Also the money would be used for any additional care that she would need or any items that she would need even as far as having food delivered to her and paying off some recent hospital bills. Etc. And hopefully she will decide in the future to move up with me in Knoxville and in which case I will need money to have her transported up there and then when she takes her journey to have her transported back to Snellville Georgia to the funeral home so she can be very properly next to my father.

2 Lawyer Answers
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: It is not possible to answer your questions without actually reviewing the powers of attorney that you hold. You also would be well served by consulting with an elder law attorney to not only review the powers of attorney but also give you some advice about Medicaid crisis planning.

Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: We cannot answer that question without knowing the facts about the case. You will need to consult with an attorney who can review the facts in detail and provide you with guidance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.