Anaheim, CA asked in Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support for Arizona

Q: How can I find out if I'm divorced if I have no idea where my wife is she said I Needed to find Jesus 7 months ago

We had a confidential marriage.. and she left for 9 days I had our daughter till she found out she can't get housing without her l. Then she put me in jail cause I had a misdemeanor warrant so she called me to church lead Me to believe that she wonted to work it out with our family,sent the cops to the park where I was playing in the water with my daughter and while accompanying them, had me arrested for 1 day and I haven't seen her since..

1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: This was filed as a question for Arizona, but I see you're in California. California has a confidential marriage license; Arizona does not. Still, Arizona will recognize marriages legally entered into another state even if their procedures are different than Arizona's.

I'm going to answer presuming you intended to ask this question in Arizona.

Arizona divorce proceedings are public record. You can check the docket for Maricopa County here:

But she can't divorce you without serving you--although it may be possible for her to have served you by publication.

Additionally, for Arizona to have jurisdiction, you or your wife needs to have lived here in Arizona for 90 days, and for Arizona to have jurisdiction over the child, the child needs to have lived here for six months.

If you can't find here on your own, you may want to look into hiring a skip tracer to find her. I'd recommend acting sooner rather than later. The you wait, the more difficult your custody case becomes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.