New Milford, NJ asked in Medical Malpractice for New Jersey

Q: Around 8 years ago my husband has had weight loss surgery

They never told us that people who have this have a higher chance of becoming addicted to alcohol. My husband even asked if could drink after and they said yes. Well the past 8 years my family suffered with him being an alcoholic. Can we sue since they never disclosed this could be a side effect or happen.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I'm sorry for your husband's and your family's ordeal. One of the things that some law firms could anticipate in such a case is the argument that the alcoholism could be attributed to factors in addition to surgery-related ones. In terms of causation, it's something that defense attorneys might be able to challenge from various angles. But different attorneys could see things differently. You could reach out to med mal law firms to discuss. That would be the most reliable way to evaluate the merits of such a case. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.