Washington, DC asked in Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Civil Litigation for Virginia

Q: If a Lawyer does a terrible job, and I appeal and win, do I have to pay that lawyer full fees or can I arrange something

I really need to catch up on my debt since my vehicle motor accident, I had ruttermills at first and the judge awarded me, but only about 30% of the debt and fees. I filed an appeal and immediately as I did that Rutter Mills decline to represent me so I've been doing everything since then on my own. I'm in talks with the insurance company's attorney to try and negotiate a higher settlement. But will I still owe the full amount to the attorney although they stepped out and haven't helped me or can I attest to the fees and some way?

1 Lawyer Answer
Benjamin W.   Glass III
Benjamin W. Glass III
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Fairfax, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: It sounds like you had a personal injury case and hired a personal injury law firm that was probably charging you on a contingent fee basis. You won the case but were disappointed with the award. The award can be based on a number of issues, so its impossible to judge, from the award, whether the firm performed poorly or not. (You mention the firm, they are a reputable Virginia personal injury firm.).. The answer to your question really lies in the contract you signed but, under usual circumstances yes, you will owe them their fee at least for the amount they got the court to award you at trial.If you can secure a higher settlement you probably don't owe them 1/3 for the extra you receive. Hope this makes sense. good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.