Jackson, MS asked in Constitutional Law, Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Mississippi

Q: If police takes two years to turn case over to da office . Can I sue for not investigating.

I had a person walk in my yard point gun at me and said you know what I am here for . Then beat me with gun . Police came and two years later still had not helped me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew Charles Burrell
Andrew Charles Burrell
  • Gulfport, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: Under MS law, you would have only 1 year to sue a police department. However, they do not have a time line in which to complete an investigation as toward charging the person with a crime. Your injury claim may be barred against your neighbor as well as it is going to be defined as a intentional act which faces a 1 year statute of limitations. You need to seek counsel quickly in your area and see if you can still pursue the matter against your neighbor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.