Lexington, KY asked in Child Support and Divorce for Kentucky

Q: Yes I have a question about renegotiating a divorce settlement.

When we divorced we agreed to joint custody and every other year we would take turns claiming g the federal tax credit for the child. Myex is now wanting to renegotiate child support. Which I don't pay because we have joint custody and she agreed to let me know about his expenses as they arose and I would provide payment for them as needed. She had very rarely provided information when he needs something unless it was after the fact. She also makes 30k a year more than I do. She recieved a significant raise along with a promotion at work after the divorce. Before the divorce we were making approximately equal incomes. Is it possible to request alimony in a renegotiation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: No. It is not possible to renegotiate alimony or maintenance. However, you could make a motion for 50/50 p arenting time with the child and to modify child support since under the new guidelines she could be paying you support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.